Saturday, October 28, 2006

Thousands of Miles to Go


photo courtesy of Glenn Tachiyama

(Warning this is primarily a boring training entry - sometimes it helps for me to write down my goals. That way I will be stuck with them until they are completed!)

This last week I started on a training program. I started the 24-week, more than 70 miles a week, schedule by Pfitzinger et al. I have done this program once before when I was training hard for marathons. I am thinking maybe if I just put in the miles and I take my time with the build-up I can really get ready for next summer's ultra season. I can hope, right?

So today I did a medium-long 15 mile run and didn't feel too bad, considering that I also did two 10+ mile runs this last week. Boy, I have forgotten how tired the legs can feel when consecutive distance days start to add up. Maybe this is what my legs need in order to toughen up. You know the old saying, what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger. Well, I've appropriated this saying when it suits me to serve my training purposes. If I gradually beat up my legs all winter then maybe they won't get injured quite so easily next spring!

My preliminary goals are:
1. Birthday Challenge on Nov. 25, 2006
2. Yakima Canyon Marathon on March 31, 2007
3. Bighorn 100 on June 15, 2007

If I don't get injured I will probably do quite a few other races along the way, but this year I want to start with some small goals. No more of this racing every weekend, unless I feel like Superman!

Legs don't fail me now! (feet too!)

1 comment:

JustRun said...

Heh, yeah, small. ;)