Sunday, October 08, 2006

Birthday Challenge


I am planning my Birthday Challenge for Saturday November 25. This will be for birthday number 34. This is not my exact birthdate, but Saturday will probably work better due to the holiday, etc. Anyone and everyone is invited to attend, but I will warn you it will not be exciting and it will probably be raining!

If you have never heard of a Birthday Challenge you should check out this site: http://www.birthdaychallenge.com/index2.html

My Birthday Challenge for this year (2006) is to bike around Lake Washington, Kayak around Mercer Island (in Lake Washington), and run around the perimeter of Mercer Island (on East and West Mercer Way and the I-90 trail). I am planning on having my starting point and exchange point be at Enatai Beach Park in Bellevue. As of today I have not decided on a start time but it will likely be early in the morning (probably before dawn) so that I can finish in the light at the end of the day.

I haven't figured out how far the ride, bike and run will be but I am guessing that the ride is roughly 45-50 miles, kayak 14-15 miles, run 12-13 miles. Right now the plan is to ride on the arterials closest to the Lake except for where I will be on the Burke-Gilman trail. I am also guessing that the challenge may take somewhere between 10 and 13 hours, but it could be much longer, especially if the weather sucks! Ah the pain and torture of getting a year older!

Please don't ask why I want to do this. If you don't understand why people run marathons or ultramarathons you definately won't understand the reason for the Birthday Challenge. I hope to see if the challenge lives up to my expectations!!

No comments: