Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Why Doesn't Anyone Care?


Last Sunday I rode my bike over to Seattle and went to the Iraq war protest. I am not a regular protestor or peace marcher, but I have on occassion gone to a march or two. I wanted to go to this protest primarily because I am so frustrated that nothing is changing. No one, not Congress and not the general population, and least of all the President is willing to get some balls, stand up and end a war which will never be won, or maybe it has already been won? (I won't even try to explain this statement since the explanation has to be made for each of the President's reasons for war. Ask the President!). I am not sure if it takes a strong, intelligent and thoughtful person to start a war, but I am becoming ever more certain that that kind of person is definately what it takes to end one.

So I made up a little cardboard sign, taped it to my bike, and rode into town. The bike ride was great as the clouds lifted and the sun started to dry out the city. But the protest left me unimpressed. It seemed like a significant portion of the crowd consisted of the city's destitute and homeless. While the remainder primarily appeared to consist of far-left leaning pascifists. Now I realize that judging by appearances is the worst kind of generalization and that I don't exactly fit the mold of normal american consumer. I am not trying to sound elitist (it just happens when you have a strong opinion!). But I just wish I would have seen more average looking Wall-Mart shopping, American Idol watching, non-political party card-carrying citizens, either protesting against or for the war. So much of the war debate is framed by the extremes and not by the undecided middle. It is extremely tragic that middle America, whether literal (ie Kansas), or economic seems to refuse to participate. So many don't even vote, it shouldn't exactly be surprising that the vast majority won't voice their opinion in public. I could of course be all wrong. Maybe they are all writing letters to their representatives and making sure that the will of the people is heard. I just don't believe that this is occurring. The only so-called voice of the middle is from the numerous polls which always seem to tilt toward one side or the other, dependent upon who is doing the polling.

Whether or not I am on the right or wrong side, fighing against or with the will of the people, it would be nice to know that the rest of America actually cares about what is happening in Iraq. Based upon the lack of participation it sure doesn't seem like anyone cares. So for me the bigger and more disturbing question is why doesn't anyone care?

p.s. You have to click on the photo to read the bike sign!

2 comments:

Alikona said...

Sadly, I don't think it's because people don't care...I think it's largely because people feel helpless and powerless. The lack of voting is a great example...people care but they don't think/know/feel that their individual vote will make a difference (unless maybe if they lived in FL in 2000).

And I totally agree about wanting to see more mainstream, middle-of-the-road citizens out there protesting or supporting. Every Tuesday night, I go by groups of war protesters and I am ashamed to say that I don't even bother looking at them because they seem either sooooo extreme and fanatical in their beliefs or just too out of it to even know why they're out there.

But I applaud you for taking a stand and showing that you care and that you have the power to make a stand. Perhaps if more of us mainstreamers see more people like you out there, we'll begin to follow suit.

[BTW, I love and support my troops 120 percent. I have several friends over there, and two have come in bodybags. That said, I do want this war to end. But I also want my troops to know that I will always support them so long as they are still over there fighting.

adam said...

I agree. Especially when it comes to supporting our troops. The fact that the troops are putting their lives on the line really makes my participation that much more important, because if the President is wrong and the ends don't justify the means, then alot of US men and women died for ".....". I don't even want to say the word because it would be so tragic. I would rather not let one man decide the fate of those who have chosen to serve (In fact, Congress is the only branch with the power to declare war). There is just too much at stake.