Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I should have posted a long time ago!


I have been meaning to post about my Orcas Island Fat Ass race and nephew/neice weekend for awhile now. I am primarily posting because I wanted to put up a couple of great pictures of my neice and nephew!

So way back in February I went up to Orcas Island and ran the Orcas Island FA 50K (really 33miles) with a big group of the regular crazies. Once again this was a really fun race, made even more exciting by the high winds and heavy snow at the top of Mt. Consititution. The conditions really weren't too bad as long as you kept moving. I had a great time and managed to take at least 45 minutes off my time from last year. Of course some of this is due to the fact that the course was shortened and last year I got lost near the finish! I finished in 7th place with a 5:35. I had a great time seeing and hanging out with a few runners who I hadn't seen for quite some time and meeting many others.

The bad part, the part which I could write an entire whinny post about, is my resulting injury (or injuries). It appears that my legs are taking an early retirement! I won't go into details in this post. But this has got to be the worst injury I have ever had considering that I haven't been able to run much more than a few miles (total) for the last 2.5 weeks!


After the Orcas race I took advantage of the fact that I was near Bellingham and drove up to see the family. I spent bit of time at my dad's and then spent an entire day with my brother's family, including my neice, Hazel, and nephew, Lucas. I had a great time getting to know them since it seems they change so much from one visit to the next. Hazel spent a great deal of time perfecting her screaming skills while I was surprised to see that Lucas has become quite the trickster. I think his parents may be in for some hard times since he was fully revelling in the attention he could get by doing exactly what I told him not to do! Of course it may just be that his parents would never stand for that and he knew he found a sucker when I came to visit! Anyway, I can't wait to return and see how these two will surprise me some more.

1 comment:

JustRun said...

Ah some good niece and nephew time- nothing cures the blues like their adorable faces. Sorry to read of your injury... hopefully rest and taking care of it despite what you want to do (run) will help.