Wednesday, November 15, 2006

An Oppressively Dark Winter Beginning


Last weekend Matt and I ventured out to the mountains for what will probably be the last mountain hike before the winter. We encountered quite a dark and somewhat ominous sight. A couple of feet of snow had recently fallen and massive dark clouds were preparing to dump more rain in the lowlands and snow on the peaks. We went on a short hike up near Mt. Washington, on the western side of the Cascades. It was fun to get to hang with Matt again, now that he is no longer tied up with his firefighting job applications and paramedic school. Congratulations again Matt! And thanks so much for letting me break trail through 2 feet of snow!!

I am starting to get a little tired of the darkness and rain already! It seems like it has been so wet and dark this November. In fact I am not sure I have really seen the sun since the beginning of the month. Just buckets of rain, buckets of rain, got all them buckets coming out of my ears!

Looking at the positive side, there is going to be a lot of snow soon and I just got a new ski setup. I can't wait to try out my new AT boots, bindings and used skis!!

2 comments:

JustRun said...

Very cool... I love snow and cold when it's time to play in it, otherwise, I could do without them both. I don't know how you do it in those dark winters... it was 38 degrees here yesterday but at least the sun was out.

Anonymous said...

Its so very dark...it's all I get to see these days..dark on my way to work...dark or slightly dark when I get off...dark while I sleep. I really cant wait till this working nights is over cause I couldnt survive a full winter here doing it. But yes I was thinking it was just me who thought it was an unusually dark November.