Friday, July 07, 2006

Cle Elum River Weekend


For the 4th of July weekend I borrowed my friend Calvin's cabin and spent 4 days hiking and relaxing in the sunshine! I had a great time taking some extended hikes including a loop of Pollalie Ridge and the Waptus River trails (>21 miles). Unfortunately, I broke a piece of exterior trim on my car when driving up the road to the cabin. But I am trying to forget about this and focus on the positive. I actually was able to run a little bit and my left groin is no longer bothering me!


Also there isn't too much snow left in the high country. I am sure that in a couple more weeks it will be easy to go high pretty much everywhere in WA. Last weekend there was still 3 or 4 feet of snow in some places, like at passes with lots of tree cover. The snow made the hikes a little difficult as routefinding became very difficult. It wouldn't be so hard if I had been above tree-line where I could guide myself by landmarks but when travelling through the trees on slightly sloping ground the navigating back to the start point was difficult. I am already wishing I could go back, especially to do some more fishing. I only got out on the river for about 1/2 an hour on one day. I wanted to get to some high lakes but was stymied by the snow navigation difficulties. Oh well, here are a few photos.

No comments: