Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Another Awesome Weekend!


I had another great weekend in the mountains July 15-16. First I started by climbing Eldorado with the Mountaineers. Then I went hiking and exploring near Cascade pass on Sunday. And amazingly I had no pain at either of my injuries (left groin or right metatarsals)!

The climb up Eldorado was surprisingly easy and even the knife-edge snow ridge at the top was not quite as agro as I anticipated. We had a good Mountaineers group. Everyone seemed to be in good shape and we were able to complete the round-trip car to car in a respectable less than 12 hours. The views from the top weren't so awesome since we were in the clouds (for the most part). But later in the day it cleared and Sunday we had an absolutely electric blue sky.

On Sunday, I hiked up to Cascade Pass from the end of the Cascade River road, where I had car camped the night before. Based upon a recommendation from the eldorado climb leader, Jim Jung, I took a right at the pass and tried to go over Cache Col. But when I got to the steep snow field near the col I had second thoughts as I left my axe at the car, I was wearing trail runners and the runout looked a little gnarly. So I backtracked to the pass and headed down into Pelton basin and beyond. I ended up at a waterfall down near the base of the second valley. I took a short break before starting back. The Cascade Pass trail is a little heavily used for my taste, but one of these days I am going to have to run over and see if I can get to Stehekin in a day!

No comments: