Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Return to Sanity


With far more fretting, whining and worrying than I thought I was capable of, I have finally made a decision to NOT run the White River 50 mile this year.

For me at least, when I plan on doing something it starts to take on a life of its own and sometimes it is hard to put on the brakes. Momentum, energy and spirit build-up and seem to propel me along on a course I am nearly helpless to change. I find it interesting that Newton's first law seems to apply:

"An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external and unbalanced force. An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external and unbalanced force."

See I am a nerd. Or at least a geek! Today's physics tangent is thanks to my often-forgotten and relatively under utilized degree in physics.

Although I won't be at the race to watch or volunteer, because it will suck to watch a race I should be running, I am hoping that all my ultra-friends will have fun and do well. Good luck TC, Alison, Bruce, Shawn, Brian, Arthur, Mike, Van, Nick, Michael, Glenn and many more!!

3 comments:

JustRun said...

That's so weird... I think of Newton in regard to running all the time. And I stopped physics in high school.

I am sure you made a good decision.

shawn said...

I'm sorry Adam. I know you weren't alone in the injury/missing WR boat! That's a tough but probably smart decision not to run it. You'll be back.

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Sorry you couldn't run the race, but it seems you made the right decision. Hope the knee is healing and you have your sights set on a next race or goal. Keep up the great posting and running!