Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ski hard, no Hard Ski


Last Sunday, Matt and I hit the backcountry near Crystal Mtn. and learned why ski areas are in such high demand. I wore myself out skinning up Bullion Basin to do my first backcountry turns on the new AT skis. It took us most of the day just to get to the top of the ridge and it took less than an hour to ski back down. If I was a little more cynical I would have to say I didn't get my money's worth on that downhill run! Then again, I didn't pay any money to get to the top and we nearly had the whole hillside to ourselves!!


Last weekend I learned:

1. The kick-turn in my AT gear is even harder than with my tele-gear
2. I have to lock into the bindings in order to step up steep hillsides
3. Skinny skins don't work so well on steep ice!!
4. No matter how hard it is to get to the top and no matter how crappy the conditions are for skiing down, I can still have a fun time!!!


It was awesome to get to the top of the hill and look out over the Cascades, thinking of all that country which is completely neglected in the winter time. How impossible would it be to do a little ski tour to some of my favorite summer destinations, like the Enchantments?? Just dreaming, I guess.

We got some great views of Mt. Rainier. Sure wish I could ski on Rainier this year. Because of the flood damage, I doubt anyone will be doing much skiing on the Mountain. The upper parts of the mountain are normally relatively people-free during the winter. But this winter may be extra special in that respect. I know the mountain doesn't really care, but I like to think about the vastness and coldness of that mountain, all alone. The mountain is a little too large and over-powering for me to take-it all in on a crowded summer day, let alone a frigid cold and completely lonely winter day. It just seems so extremely wild without the people. I want to visit! Sorry for the Rainier rambing, but I just finished reading The Measure of a Mountain: Beauty and Terror on Mount Rainier by Bruce Barcott. This was a very interesting book and I highly recommend it to non-fiction junkies (like myself).

1 comment:

JustRun said...

Wow, looks like a blast. A ton of work, but a blast. And nothing beats that view!