Monday, April 03, 2006

Cold & Windy Spring


Yesterday I went for my first spring hike in the mountains (not the lowlands) and boy did it feel like winter! Every once and awhile the sky would start to clear but after 15 minutes of hiking ominous clouds would race in and the wind would shower me with ice crystals from the snow on the ground. It was refreshing to be out on the tops of the hills feeling the full blast of weather. The wind was blowing so hard you can see my goat was even blown over in the wind -->

I went to Mt. Washington and hiked to the top of a ridge near the peak. I'd been here before, just hiking up to the climbing areas. But yesterday I went further up onto logging roads and into tons of snow. In some places it was slow going with postholing up to my knees. I tried an off-trail route straight up a bowl on the northern side of the ridge but was turned back by at least 40 degree steep loose snow. I didn't really need an ice axe but a huge snow shovel (or snowshoes) would have helped!

Anyway I backtracked and followed an old logging road grade around the side of the ridge before clambering to the top. The views of the I-90 corridor aren't much to write home about but it was great to be outside and moving. After the hike I soaked my feet in the icy Snoqualmie River. So I'm hopeing my right foot will feel better this week!!

No comments: