Monday, March 20, 2006

Metatarsalgia Go Away!!

Maybe writing down my frustration will help! Who knows? At least I have finally got a name for the pain which I have had in my right foot for the last two weeks. After dropping out of the Chuckanut 50K on saturday I got some great advice from Scott Jurek.

It sounds like my pain is a symptom of what is called Metatarsalgia, an inflamation of the tissues around the metatarsal bones in the foot. I guess I have been running a little too much. It may also be due to aging since the fat stores on the bottom of the foot become thinner with age. I don't think it is my shoes since I have been running in the same style road shoes for a few years. But just in case it is due to my newer trail shoes I am going to reduce the amount of time I wear my trail shoes. In addition, I need to get a metatarsal pad, take it easy on the running for a little while and do some post-workout icing.

Some great links:

www.spinalhealth.net/inj-foot.html
www.mayoclinic.com/health/metatarsalgia/DS00496

I can only hope that my foot will toughen up so I can plan on making it to the rest of my spring and summer races. Bighorn 100 or bust!!

No comments: